The Adventure of Waiting


March 6, 2007 - Tuesday

Category: Religion and Philosophy



Waiting.  If there was one word I had to choose to summarize my life at present, it would be "waiting."  Waiting for life to begin, to feel grown up, to know where I'll be in six months, to know what my passion in life is and where to use it.  Waiting to know who I'll share my life with, why everything is taking so long, and how it will all work out.

     
But even though waiting is often seen in a negative light, God has been teaching me lately that waiting is actually an adventure in itself, and most definitely a time to learn and grow.  Here's some of the stuff He's been awakening me to in the last couple days.

    
 In 1 Timothy 2, Paul uses an illustration of how a wealthy person has two kinds of eating utensils.  There is the every day utensils, made of clay and wood, and the utensils that are reserved for special occasions, made of gold and silver.  At first I didn't get it, but after a little while of thinking about it, it made sense.  Perhaps there is a special purpose for those who must wait longer, or a special revelation of God's will.  We might feel like we are having to waste our time waiting, but in reality, perhaps God is reserving us for something special, even as He is also preparing us.  So what do we do while we wait for whatever this "special occasion" might be?  Paul advises Timothy to stay pure and ready, so that when God is ready to pull you out and use you, nothing will hold you back from being used in whatever way God has planned.

     
But I've also learned that waiting for God isn't like the boring, sedentary wait at the doctor's office. No, it's actually a restful adventure.  Here's what I mean…

   
 First of all, when facing the daunting task of waiting, it's helpful to remember that it is only for a season.  Just like it's easier to be by yourself for a while when you know there's a party in a few hours, you can be content, and even take comfort in your waiting, knowing that one day, things will be different.  Answers will arrive, and the picture will be complete.  In that way, you can have a heart at rest, knowing that this season of waiting won't last forever.

   
 Secondly, waiting is an adventure.  A few days ago, I was on a walk, exploring the woods, but with a time constraint because my car was parked inside an area with a gate that closed at a certain time.  As I enjoyed the afternoon, I soon discovered that I was lo..well, not really lost, but I just didn't know where I was yet.  The funny thing was, that even with only 15 minutes to go until my car was locked in, and not knowing how I was even going to find it, much less, find it in time, I didn't freak out.  I was having the time of my life!  It was like being a part of some kind of "Amazing Race," where all senses were on alert, taking in the beauty, the adventure, the choices that were all apart of the journey.  At one point, I came out of the woods into vast, green fields that were so unfamiliar, it seemed it was all but impossible to know even which way to continue on.  Time was ticking, and I starting to wonder what kind of ending this adventure would have. Finally, I found a little trail back on the edge of the woods, which quickly dead ended.  Then, looking around a bit, I found another trail in the woods in the right general direction,  and began my trail running again—spooking the poor deer around every corner!  At last I came to another clearing, after jumping a creek and climbing under a barbed wire fence, and saw some huge buildings that were way past where I was supposed to get my car!  Only 10 minutes to go now, and it sure seemed a long way back to my car still, unless there was some magical shortcut.  Interestingly enough, there was—just beyond another gate, following the remains of some kind of tractor trail through the tall grass, into some more woods…and there was the road!  The road that led to my nearby car, with five minutes to spare!  And that's when I realized, God knew exactly where I was all along, He knew He could bring me back just in time—not a minute too soon or too late.

     
On my way home, as I thought about it, it seemed like that was what waiting is really about.  It's not a boring sit, but an adventure—running through the woods, finding trails in the direction you sense God is leading you, with no guarantees; just trusting that He will bring you to your destination just in time—not a minute too early or too late.  As you run, you can't look back, you can only keep going.  Faith is required at those moments when things seem most unfamiliar, and you feel so far away from where you think you need to be.  That faith helps you believe that God knows exactly where you are, and that you are might be a lot closer than you think.  And in the end, when you at last reach your destination, exhausted, but exhilarated, all you can do is stand in awe of God's love and tangible presence in your life, admiring the perfect way He guided you in every path along the way.  What a rush!

     
Here's to the adventure of waiting!

Comments

Popular Posts