That Kid Stuff


February 28, 2007 - Wednesday                  

Current mood:  contemplative

Category: Life


Sometimes when life threatens to get a little more complicated than I bargained for (which is probably still pretty simple compared to a lot of people, I guess), I wish I hadn't wished so much to grow up.  It's kind of funny to think about how you wish your whole kid-hood away, thinking grown-up-hood will be a living dream.  But somehow, now that I'm at least almost there (when do you actually arrive anyway?), there's a lot I wish back.  Like an early mid-life crisis...did I really enjoy all that kid stuff good enough?  What do I do now that I'm here?



But whenever I feel like taking a break from all those mind-probing questions, I just remember...

Running through the woods and playing Tarzan on giant vines...

"Babysitting" baby turtles...

Swinging for hours, pretending I was really flying through the clouds...

Falling asleep on Mom or Dad's lap...

Cheerios at church...

Making a fort out of blankets and chairs on rainy days...

Mud-puddle-stomping with my brother...

Playing Marco-Polo for hours in the neighbor's pool...

Turning a refridgerator box into a Taco Bell with my cousins...

Peeking out the window and seeing fresh snow sparkling in the moonlight...

The tire swing...

Honeysuckle...

Christmas...

Birthdays...

Banana-seat bike...

Golden Grahams!



It wouldn't be hard to keep going, but eventually I do have to return to my grown-up life.  No wonder kids are so much fun to be around.  They remind us of how life is supposed to be...Letting Someone bigger take care of whatever problems that might come our way, feeling safe in His care, and enjoying simple pleasures with creativity.  Maybe my wishing it all back isn't that far away.

Comments

Popular Posts