A Tribute to My Hero--Steve Irwin


September 6, 2006 - Wednesday

Current mood:  sad

Category: News and Politics


As the news of Steve Irwin's accident and passing hit me that early morning of September 4, I knew the world would never be the same. My hero, the invincible, daring Crocodile Hunter would no longer make his enthusiastic appearances on television or action movies (even if it was a bit cheesy). I won't go on and on, but I just wanted to share what I appreciated and learned, in all seriousness, about a crazy Australian bloke who changed the face of "nature programs" forever.



I appreciated his enthusiasm and passion for life and his calling--working with wildlife.

I learned to appreciate the value of wildlife--whether super dangerous or seemingly mundane.

I enjoyed his sense of adventure, and the way he drew all who watched to be a part of the adventure with him.

I admired his willingness to take risks, both educated and a bit on the crazy side.





I am very sad to say such a sudden goodbye to my hero and "friend." For those of you who find this cheesy, well, maybe it is a bit, but I really do think Steve Irwin made his mark in our world, and whether you loved him or hated him, he made an impact.



From his death, I was reminded that it isn't the dangers we know about that are always the most lethal, but the ones we do not expect. It carries over into the spiritual sense as well, that when we recognize Satan's attacks and know our need for God's power in our lives, we reduce our risk of falling. But as soon as we think we're "safe," that everything's under control--that's when we need to watch out. The most lethal attacks might be right around the corner.



Farewell to a Legend of the Outback.

Comments

Popular Posts