Fireflies


June 17, 2007 - Sunday                  

Category: Religion and Philosophy

I'm almost ready to accept the naturalist in me that I keep ignoring. I am not sure how in the world it will ever be useful to me in the "real world," but I can't help but notice and be inspired by all the cool stuff I find outside!

Tonight I was coming back from a walk and was just heading down the driveway to where it opens up into the large front yard surrounded by woods. I've seen it before, but tonight I just stopped to take it in and enjoy the show. Throughout the large opening before me, fireflies flashed intermittently at various places so that it looked like the woods beyond were sparkling with dazzling golden sequins! Or like the way it must look on stage in front of thousands of people who are taking pictures and their flashes go off randomly (I would really have no idea exactly what that's like, but that's what I imagine it to be like). I guess you just had to be there. :)

But I was reminded again how fireflies are at their most stunning beauty and brilliance in deepest darkness. Have you ever noticed a firefly in the day time? They're not much to look at. But see them in the purple twilight, in the mid-night blue--and any place becomes enchanting. I guess I was just thinking that perhaps there are times in life that are dark--whether it be a tragic loss or lack of clarity in life's directions--but it seems that God's brilliant light can shine its brightest through us at those times. We don't have to understand it all or even like it, but when we allow His light to take over our lives even in our darkest hours, not only do we enjoy the warmth He brings us, but others see the unique beauty in us that is only revealed in the darkness.

So I want to be a firefly. (And maybe I should revise that to philosophizing naturalist. ;)

11:06 PM  3 Comments 2 Kudos

Comments

Popular Posts